Cuban sofrito. The primary ingredients in Cuban sofrito are onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Common secondary ingredients include tomatoes, dry white wine, oregano, bay leaf, and cilantro. Authentic Cuban sofrito (sauce) to be added to Cuban dishes, stews and other things.
Cuban sofrito is the base of many Cuban recipes. It's that special flavor you can't put your finger on in I have friends who freak out at the mention of tomato sofrito. How dare I add tomato to a Cuban. You can cook Cuban sofrito using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cuban sofrito
- It’s of sofrito.
- You need 1 tbsp of annatto seeds,.
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 of small bay leaf.
- Prepare 2 of medium sized onions, chopped.
- You need 2 of red bell peppers, seeded and white veins removed, chopped.
- Prepare 5 of roma tomatoes, diced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- You need 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh oregano.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
I got something similar to this recipe years ago, and since then I have added my own touch. You can do a lot with this. I serve it over black beans and rice. oh and you can't forget the Cuban bread! Sofrito is a base for the delicious Cuban rice and beans called Moros y Cristianos.
Cuban sofrito instructions
- In a large skillet set on medium low add annato seeds and oil..
- Simmer seeds in oil for 10 minutes to release their flavor. Remove seeds but keep oil in pan..
- In oil saute garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes and bay leaf, cooking until vegetables are soft. Can take up to 6 minutes..
- Stir in paste and cook for addition 5 minutes..
- Add stock and simmer for additional 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and add fresh herbs..
- Remove from heat and cool. Then blend ingredients in a blender. Pulse each mix as you want a puree and not liquid..
- Taste now and add salt and pepper to your liking..
- Freeze in 1/4 cup measurements for later use, store fresh in air tight container in refrigerator up to but no longer than 2 weeks..
- Sofrito is an addition to many Latin style dishes for flavor enhancements..
- Traditionally Cuban sofrito is made with 1/4 cup white wine and 1/4 cup chicken stock. I used all stock but please add it if you like..
- Recipe by taylor68too.
It is also used for many soups and stews as well. Sofrito keeps for a week or so in the refrigerator. We had a traditional turkey, Cuban moros y cristianos (black beans cooked with white rice), and a variety of salads. Preparation Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute slightly.